Boys
Like most little girls, I had no use for boys growing up. Until, like most little girls, junior high came along, then it all changed. However boys(or boys that I wanted to) had no use for me for a long while after that. Then I met Ross during the summer of 2004 and I suppose I met the right boy. Now it seems as if my life is all about boys. Still very much centered around that "right" boy, but since along the way some others have joined who have changed my life.
I had my dad and my big brother from day one. Big bro Corey wasn't always the nicest, but I wasn't always the nicest to him either. I may have been 8 years younger and very very scrawny, but I could slap like I was being paid for it. It took several years for Corey and I to get to being friends, but he is by far one of my favorite people. Thanks to that boy, I have three of the most amazing boys in my life. We gained Terry, aka Baby Boy, when he was only 10 years old. I can remember when he came to my school to play an elementary basketball game and he introduced me to his friends as his "Aunt Kayla". I never knew that a 10 year old could make me feel so special. I have proudly wore that title for eleven years and love that it will never go away.
Then came along Ben, aka Monkey, six years ago. He had quite the crowd on the day he arrived. The ten of us waited patiently for Corey to bring him down to us and when he did I felt very proud to wear my title once again. He was tiny and perfect and had(and still has) the most perfect baby dimples ever. His favorite word for what seemed like years was "ball". It was said all the time so it is only fitting that he is currently playing baseball, soccer, and is starting to show interest in football. He called me the other day and asked if his Uncle Ross was out playing army. I love that he is at the age of having conversations and that he understands when I will be able to come see him.
Two years later came Joe, aka our honey badger. Joe had the same crowd waiting for him to show up on that Friday afternoon. He was so small and quiet in his tiny bed. Corey stood proudly beside him and held his hand while attempting to explain to Ben that he was coming home with them. Ben was way more concerned with why his mom was sleeping with everyone in the room. We lovingly call Joe our honey badger because he really does what he wants to do. He is the sweetest honey badger we could ask for and I love our phone conversations. He always asks where I am, what Ross is doing, tells me he loves me, and then says "I call you right back" and hangs up. Being an Aunt Kayla to those three boys has changed me and I cannot imagine my life without them. I wish I could see each of them more often and cannot wait to spend time with them this summer.
We just found out last week that nephew #4 will be coming this fall. I had told myself that I was going to get to add a niece to the list, but I am thankful for another nephew! Baby nephew will be six months younger than our boy and that will make family gatherings so much fun. They will have so much in common and it will be so great for them to have someone to grow up with. I cannot wait to meet him and see his face! There is no way that he will not have amazing baby dimples because my brother-in-law and sister-in-law have the best dimples and let's be honest, what is cuter than a baby with tiny dimples?
Now for my boys. Ross has been in my life for almost 8 years now. We have gone through a couple years of high school, four years of long distance while Ross was at West Point, planning a wedding, hottest wedding ever, three moves, roommates, new jobs, a dog, and most recently, a baby boy. I don't know if I could have asked for a better boy to go through all of those things with. I know that if I were to have been with a different person I probably wouldn't have experienced all of those things though. He has helped me realize that change is okay, distance is doable, taught me how to play Call of Duty like a 12 year old boy, provided for me, and given me a beautifully handsome son. I love this boy. I do not tell him often enough how much I appreciate what he does for Levi and I. You are the best, Spartacus.
And little Buddy. He is the smallest boy in my life. He has changed my view on boys all around. I haven't been thrown up on, peed on, screamed at, or snuggled with so much in my life. I have been a big fan of sleep my entire life, and I'm okay with this little boy taking it away from me. I miss sleeping in and sleeping all night, but I love this little boy more. I cannot wait for him to be old enough to tell me that "he loves me and will call me right back", to play baseball and any other sport he wants to play, and to introduce me to his elementary basketball team. I don't want him to grow up too fast, but having the aunt experience made me excited to have the mom experience.
Not all my boys are "boys" anymore. I have and have had very special men in my life. My brother, dad, father-in-law, brother-in-law, uncles, grand fathers are all men who have made a difference to me. They all hold their special roles and have made their impressions on my life. I cannot begin to explain the roles they all play and the memories they have each provided. But I will use words from my Uncle Nobbie, "Proud of all involved".
Comments
Post a Comment