A First For Everything
Here it is, my very first blog. I'm not sure what I will do with this or if anyone will read it other than me, but here it is.
Ross and I have been very busy the past 17 days (plus 12 months). We have moved from Oklahoma to New York, lived in a hotel room for way too many days, discovered we are not apartment people, got our first pet, we both started new jobs, made new friends, and found out our family was expanding to 3(SURPRISE!), 2 trips back to Oklahoma, I quit my job, and a baby boy was born. 12 crazy months.
I knew that having our baby would be completely crazy, emotionally overwhelming, painful, and some other things, but it has been so so much more. We were extremely lucky to have my mom be here with us for most of the month of March to help prepare and to be here with me while Ross was gone in the field. She helped us set up the extra room for the baby and did the chores that required bending over (our toilets and kitchen floor was quite disgusting!). It was a huge help and relief to have someone here to help with anything that either of us needed. Then Ross' parents and sister drove here to upstate NY to wait with us after we were told that I would possibly be induced. They did not have to wait long since my contractions began morning they began their drive and our little man arrived 48 hours later. I felt so blessed to have our family here with us and even though everyone wasn't by our sides physically, we felt the love from 1,500 miles away.
The many hours of contractions and what the nurses kept calling "early labor"(which got very annoying after 12+ hours) was exhausting for not only me, but for Ross and both our moms and Kelsey. Everyone was so supportive with my insanity, brief moment of tourettes, my dislike for my nurse, and laughing at my unfunny jokes. I could not have asked for a better support system that day. Ross and I were so happy when we realized that it was time for our baby to arrive and within 15 minutes we had our little 7lb 15oz baby boy in our arms.
He was(is) perfect. He had everything he needed to be perfectly healthy and Ross and I both were overwhelmed with love for him. He was born without a name and lived as Baby Boy Richert for the next 9 hours until Ross and I picked a name for him during a 5 am feeding. Levi was a name that my Papaw had always wanted for a little boy. I wanted to pass a something to honor our loving Papaw but I couldn't bring myself to name our boy Marvin, so Levi it was. I think I know the smile that Papaw would have after finding out we named him Levi. We think Levi fits him perfectly, but my precious 4 year old nephew does not. Joe is insisting that his name is Cheeto and even made him a "Cheeto" Easter egg because that is his name. Poor kid will never be able to shake the Cheeto nickname!
Life is constantly changing for us. We never know what plans are, where we will be or for how long, or what tomorrow will hold. What we do know is that we have piles of laundry that Levi creates in record timing and that we are going to be exhausted for a few years. We wouldn't trade it for anything.
We have been incredibly blessed and our hope with the blog is that we can share some of our blessings. We hope you enjoy following our journey and I promise to do my best at updating!
Ross and I have been very busy the past 17 days (plus 12 months). We have moved from Oklahoma to New York, lived in a hotel room for way too many days, discovered we are not apartment people, got our first pet, we both started new jobs, made new friends, and found out our family was expanding to 3(SURPRISE!), 2 trips back to Oklahoma, I quit my job, and a baby boy was born. 12 crazy months.
I knew that having our baby would be completely crazy, emotionally overwhelming, painful, and some other things, but it has been so so much more. We were extremely lucky to have my mom be here with us for most of the month of March to help prepare and to be here with me while Ross was gone in the field. She helped us set up the extra room for the baby and did the chores that required bending over (our toilets and kitchen floor was quite disgusting!). It was a huge help and relief to have someone here to help with anything that either of us needed. Then Ross' parents and sister drove here to upstate NY to wait with us after we were told that I would possibly be induced. They did not have to wait long since my contractions began morning they began their drive and our little man arrived 48 hours later. I felt so blessed to have our family here with us and even though everyone wasn't by our sides physically, we felt the love from 1,500 miles away.
The many hours of contractions and what the nurses kept calling "early labor"(which got very annoying after 12+ hours) was exhausting for not only me, but for Ross and both our moms and Kelsey. Everyone was so supportive with my insanity, brief moment of tourettes, my dislike for my nurse, and laughing at my unfunny jokes. I could not have asked for a better support system that day. Ross and I were so happy when we realized that it was time for our baby to arrive and within 15 minutes we had our little 7lb 15oz baby boy in our arms.
He was(is) perfect. He had everything he needed to be perfectly healthy and Ross and I both were overwhelmed with love for him. He was born without a name and lived as Baby Boy Richert for the next 9 hours until Ross and I picked a name for him during a 5 am feeding. Levi was a name that my Papaw had always wanted for a little boy. I wanted to pass a something to honor our loving Papaw but I couldn't bring myself to name our boy Marvin, so Levi it was. I think I know the smile that Papaw would have after finding out we named him Levi. We think Levi fits him perfectly, but my precious 4 year old nephew does not. Joe is insisting that his name is Cheeto and even made him a "Cheeto" Easter egg because that is his name. Poor kid will never be able to shake the Cheeto nickname!
Life is constantly changing for us. We never know what plans are, where we will be or for how long, or what tomorrow will hold. What we do know is that we have piles of laundry that Levi creates in record timing and that we are going to be exhausted for a few years. We wouldn't trade it for anything.
We have been incredibly blessed and our hope with the blog is that we can share some of our blessings. We hope you enjoy following our journey and I promise to do my best at updating!
Comments
Post a Comment