Experiences

It's day 9 of Ross being in Louisiana for some classes. Day 9 of it being Levi, Juno, and I. Day 1, although, of my first experience of "Tropical Force" winds. Being an Oklahoma girl, I have had many windy days. Sing along with me, "...where the wind come sweeping down the plains!" I know wind. Wind is wind, until you are home alone and you do not like to be in a dark house alone. I am aware of how childish it is, but I am not ashamed to admit that I am afraid of the dark. So at the moment, I am terrified of the electricity going out. We are currently having 35+ mph winds with 40+ gusts. The Weather Channel continues to remind me that power outages are "likely". Fools are not calming my nerves, so I turned them off. I love having the power to change the channel.

I posted a status on Facebook on Sunday that I would like to elaborate on a bit. I answered a phone call from two of my nephews. Ben was asking me questions about Levi, if he could crawl (he's doing a MEAN scoot), how many teeth he has (3 almost 4), if he could sit by himself (as long as he doesn't know he's doing it alone), and if he still knocks the spoon out of my hand when I'm feeding him (Annoyingly, yes). I love how Ben and Joe want to know what is going on with Levi and I look forward to them being very good friends. The conversation took a weird turn when Ben started telling me about a squirrel.

My Papaw used to call me squirrel and I couldn't understand him very well, so I asked him to repeat what he was saying about the squirrel. Again, I couldn't understand anything except that it had "waste" on it. After three or four times of repeating it for me, Ben asked me if I wanted to talk to Joe (aka he was tired of trying to get me to understand). Joe asked his rounds of Levi questions and asked what Ross was learning at his "army stuff school" and then told me "I'm gonna give you to Mamaw Carla. I love you. Bye."

When Mom got on the phone she told me what Ben was trying to explain to me. My Mamaw had a squirrel stuck in her toilet. Now you can call us redneck, because it seems to be made for a reality show. Mom told me that the return vent on the roof is lined up perfectly with the toilet and when squirrels get stuck, they sometimes fall in. WHAT! My moms response to my surprise? "Oh this isn't the first time." She also said that Mamaw thinks this is the fourth one to fall in this year. HOLY COW. I was very surprised by this because in the 25.5 years that I have been around, I don't remember hearing a story about squirrels being in the toilet.

So there my family was on a Sunday afternoon, trying to get the squirrel out of the toilet. Most would be repulsed by this (I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little), but it made me miss my family. I can only imagine how completely weirded out Ben and Joe were once the varmint was extracted and the stories of the other squirrels. There were supposedly some that didn't die in the process and ran loose in the house. Yes, just like National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. I love that we are different. It makes for excellent stories.

I need to go check and make sure nothing has blown out of the backyard and start thinking about going to bed. Here's to hoping we do not lose electricity and that Levi will sleep through the wind. Mother Nature is giving us a very "green" white noise machine tonight :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listening

Change of Identification

Late, but Never Forgotten Memory