Finally
This blog is difficult for me. I enjoy it. I work on it. I hate it. It regularly defeats me. I have started 8 entries since the last public post, but they all won the patience battle. Instead of trying to make something more interesting than it really is, here is what life has given us lately.
The last entry was written on day 78 of the deployment. We are currently winding down day 230. We have been back at Fort Drum for a bit over 3 weeks. Fall has hit quickly here in the North Country and is reminding me of how beautiful this area truly is. This will be our third and possibly last autumn here in New York, and I would be lying if I said that I was happy to see it go. In return for our surprise 8" snow falls, we receive those amazing postcard picture falls. Tree lines full of the most vibrant reds, oranges, gold, yellow, and dabs of green that you can only appreciate when you see in person. I am soaking it up daily while running errands (aka wasting time) and seeing the ever changing beauty. I will miss this season.
We are not positive this will be our final fall here, but there is a decent chance that we will be elsewhere come this time next year. We found out this summer that Ross would begin his next training (Field Artillery Captains Career Course) the first week of January. This means we will be back at Fort Sill before Christmas if all goes according to plan. (All military spouses please join me in a knowing laugh.) Things in the army typically never go "according to plan". The plan is, "Always be prepared for sudden and drastic changes."
What that date means is that within 16 weeks Levi and I will have moved back to NY, Ross returned home from Afghanistan, 1 military ball, 2 family visiting weekends, finding a home in Lawton, 1 holiday weekend of visiting friends, 1 wedding in Illinois, and a move, will all happen. Please view the previous post about my worrying tendencies... This is a lot of things to go on in a short amount of time, but they are all welcomed life happenings.
Ross has mentioned how ready he is to be home. He is missing football season like crazy. Our typical Saturday is spent watching as many football games as possible, and while I'm attempting to keep it going, I'm just not as good at it as Ross. I am distracted by Levi trying to ski using DVD cases, climb a book case being used as a toy shelf, yelling his gibberish at me that I should understand but cannot, or just simply by noticing that I like the colors of a teams helmet or the girl in the stands pants. I'm not that good at paying complete attention.
We are VERY close to Ross being home with us. We are close enough that it feels like time has come to a complete halt. Luckily, I have some fantastic ladies who are pedaling along side me on this deployment and who are helping make time go a bit quicker. Even though we don't ever say it or acknowledge it, we check the clock 20 times an hour and figure up how much longer it will be until we are reunited with our husbands. We text each other every time we hear a new rumor, see a change on the blessed Welcome Home page, or when we get the phone calls that hold so much information for us. My most common thought at the moment is that I just cannot wait to be done with this and have Levi realize that his Dada is not a computer or just a picture on my phone. Just small hopes :)
I am incredibly thankful for the love, support, advice, listening ears, time, prayers, boxes, phone calls, emails, texts, and hugs that have been given to our small family during the past 7+ months. Things we more bearable because we never felt alone. While I was what I affectionally call "solo parenting", I always had so much backup that I never felt alone. I can now feel that these days are leaving me and I will have my partner in this crazy ride back with me soon. Keep Ross in your thoughts and prayers as this next phase begins. It should be an easy thing, but like I said earlier, "always be prepared for sudden and drastic changes."
The last entry was written on day 78 of the deployment. We are currently winding down day 230. We have been back at Fort Drum for a bit over 3 weeks. Fall has hit quickly here in the North Country and is reminding me of how beautiful this area truly is. This will be our third and possibly last autumn here in New York, and I would be lying if I said that I was happy to see it go. In return for our surprise 8" snow falls, we receive those amazing postcard picture falls. Tree lines full of the most vibrant reds, oranges, gold, yellow, and dabs of green that you can only appreciate when you see in person. I am soaking it up daily while running errands (aka wasting time) and seeing the ever changing beauty. I will miss this season.
We are not positive this will be our final fall here, but there is a decent chance that we will be elsewhere come this time next year. We found out this summer that Ross would begin his next training (Field Artillery Captains Career Course) the first week of January. This means we will be back at Fort Sill before Christmas if all goes according to plan. (All military spouses please join me in a knowing laugh.) Things in the army typically never go "according to plan". The plan is, "Always be prepared for sudden and drastic changes."
What that date means is that within 16 weeks Levi and I will have moved back to NY, Ross returned home from Afghanistan, 1 military ball, 2 family visiting weekends, finding a home in Lawton, 1 holiday weekend of visiting friends, 1 wedding in Illinois, and a move, will all happen. Please view the previous post about my worrying tendencies... This is a lot of things to go on in a short amount of time, but they are all welcomed life happenings.
Ross has mentioned how ready he is to be home. He is missing football season like crazy. Our typical Saturday is spent watching as many football games as possible, and while I'm attempting to keep it going, I'm just not as good at it as Ross. I am distracted by Levi trying to ski using DVD cases, climb a book case being used as a toy shelf, yelling his gibberish at me that I should understand but cannot, or just simply by noticing that I like the colors of a teams helmet or the girl in the stands pants. I'm not that good at paying complete attention.
We are VERY close to Ross being home with us. We are close enough that it feels like time has come to a complete halt. Luckily, I have some fantastic ladies who are pedaling along side me on this deployment and who are helping make time go a bit quicker. Even though we don't ever say it or acknowledge it, we check the clock 20 times an hour and figure up how much longer it will be until we are reunited with our husbands. We text each other every time we hear a new rumor, see a change on the blessed Welcome Home page, or when we get the phone calls that hold so much information for us. My most common thought at the moment is that I just cannot wait to be done with this and have Levi realize that his Dada is not a computer or just a picture on my phone. Just small hopes :)
I am incredibly thankful for the love, support, advice, listening ears, time, prayers, boxes, phone calls, emails, texts, and hugs that have been given to our small family during the past 7+ months. Things we more bearable because we never felt alone. While I was what I affectionally call "solo parenting", I always had so much backup that I never felt alone. I can now feel that these days are leaving me and I will have my partner in this crazy ride back with me soon. Keep Ross in your thoughts and prayers as this next phase begins. It should be an easy thing, but like I said earlier, "always be prepared for sudden and drastic changes."
Comments
Post a Comment