365 Days

Yesterday marked an anniversary that shocked, scared, intimidated, thrilled, and surprised us. It is odd how a tiny plastic stick has the power to do all those things in a 3 minute time frame. Crazy tiny stick.

I had not been feeling well for a couple weeks, but I also thought it was just the being busy with a new job and summer running around. I had gotten sick a couple times which was very strange because I rarely get sick like that. Again, I didn't give it a ton of thought. It wasn't until late the night of July 31 that it came to me. Headache, dizziness, nausea, crying A LOT, throwing up after every meal, drink of water, cracker I ate, and so on... Oh my gosh, I'm pregnant.

I sat through my sex ed classes in school, I had the talk with my mom, I had friends who had either had babies or were pregnant. I knew where they came from and how to prevent them, but due to some medical issues I was no longer on birth control and God has a sense of humor. This was not our first scare, so I happened to have a test in the apartment that day. I sat for a couple hours (after throwing up my breakfast) attempting to convince myself to take the test. I read the directions for the 100th time to make sure I was going to do it correctly, and then bit the bullet.

The directions say that it will take up to 3 minutes for results, so I sat the test on the side of the bathtub and checked the clock. All of 30 seconds went by and that tiny blinking hour glass was gone and replaced with life changing words. Pregnant.


I threw up again. After gathering myself, I decided to take another test. Same results were given. I sat on the edge of the bathtub with my two "You're gonna be a mommy" sticks and debated on calling Ross. I didn't know what to say to make him come home without just coming right out and telling him over the phone. I didn't think that was the best way to go about telling him and Juno staring at me wasn't helping the matter at all. I sat on the floor with Juno and cried as she licked my leg.

I think it was only a 3 hour span from the test taking until Ross arrived home from work. I had called him to pick up something easy for supper, so when he walked in his arms were full of groceries. I almost let him walk all the way into the kitchen before I blurted out, "I took a test today." I know he knew what kind of test I was talking about, but he asked what I meant by "test". The tears instantly began and I told him I was pregnant. The groceries hit the floor.

I married a great guy. He held me as I cried and as I apologized for "screwing up" all our plans. He told me he was happy and that it was what he wanted even though it was a little early according to our timing. He assured me that we would be fine and that it wasn't as bad as I was making it. He wanted to call and tell our parents as soon as possible. I however wanted to wait a day and let it soak in before admitting it to anyone else. I couldn't hardly admit it to myself! We did call and tell Ross's brother because we were going home the next week for his wedding. We wanted to make sure he was okay with us announcing being pregnant even though it was his time for the full attention. Brad was so great and was excited for us and told us to tell whoever we wanted to. So the calls began.

We had two sets of extremely happy grandparents to be! They were all thrilled for us and also quick to remind us that we had a "3-5 year plan" that we had obviously blown. We had decided to wait to tell some of our other family until we came home the following week so we were able to soak it in little by little. I felt like every time we told a family member or a friend, I was retelling myself all over again. Who would have thought...

365 days later we have an adorable 15 pound 4 month old Levi James. He makes us smile every morning with his chatter and spastic leg and arm motions. He has made a several people grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, and some day he will be able to love them all as much as they love him. In the two years and two months Ross and I have been married, we have had several DRASTIC changes. Levi has to be one the most drastic change of all. Are we ready for the next change? Not so much, but God does have a sense of humor. I just hope He holds off on His jokes for a year or so :)

Comments

  1. We don't always understand His plans, but we know they are far greater than we can ask or imagine! Just look at Levi - he's proof of that!!!! Love you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening

Change of Identification

Late, but Never Forgotten Memory